Fresh 1s Main body

Ted Landray adding the extras


After a successful season to date EURFC fresh 1’s took the field in the BUCS trophy final with high hopes of retaining the title and bringing home the gold.

Exeter struck first with a penalty, Ted Landray kicking to take the points. The lead was short lived however as a clever set play from Hartpury saw Charlie Hubert spot the gap and go over for the try. Conversion no good. Score 3-5.

Exeter had the better of the line outs and it was here they punished Hartpury. Two tries coming from clever line out play saw Exeter’s Tom Lawday go over the line twice in quick succession. Both converted. Score now 17-8.

Hartpury struck right before half time cutting the deficit to 17-13.

Early in the second half it was Hartpury that scored again. A strong individual effort from Hubert saw him barge past the Exeter defence and go over for the try. Conversion was good and Hartpury found themselves in front for the first time in the match. Score 17-20.

Nerves in full throttle and bodies aching, the young EURFC side showed excellent composure as they went through the phases, inching towards the Hartpury try line. Releasing the ball into the back line and playing through the hands Exeter’s Jamie Wilcock (Big Cat) went over to score in the corner. Ted Landray converting once again and slotting home a penalty shortly after took the score to 27-20.       

With Hartpury trailing 27-20 and only a few minutes left of the match, Exeter’s defence started to feel the pressure. Some great phase play from Hartpury saw them control most of the possession in the later stages and were eventually rewarded when winger Cameron Roberts scrambled over the line. Conversion was good and the game went to extra time.

With a quick two minute break, both teams were back on the field. Exeter came out switched on and a converted try from Tom Holdsworth saw EURFC once again regain the lead. However a silly penalty inside the 22 straight after the restart saw the gap close to 34-30.

Both teams looked comfortable in attack and it was a mistake from Exeter in defence that allowed fly half Sam Westcott to go over for the try, putting Hartpury in front 34-37. Game on!!

Pressure was then on for the Hartpury defence as EURFC increased the tempo of the game. Some strong carries from the replacement Holdsworth pushed the opponents back inside their own 22 and a couple of penalties converted by full back Ted Landray put Exeter back in front. The final kick of the game giving Exeter the glory.

Congratulations to EURFC fresh 1’s on retaining their BUCS Trophy title and bringing home the Gold.

Date: 27 March 2015